Wireless Connection Unavailable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

revenue1005

Beta member
I am having some issues - I have a VERY simple network set up at home. I have DSL and I have it routed through a Lynxsis wireless router so I can use my laptop downstairs. It has worked great for the last year or so, however recently I have been losing my connection and then regaining it back in a few seconds or soemtimes minutes. Other times I have to restart the machine or reset the router.

I am using WEP with a network key for security and have a Cisco wireless card on the Sony Vaio laptop. I dont understand why it this continues and any help would be greatly appreciated!

REVMAN

A year or so huh...might be router or wireless card is dying (but unlikely)

Does it do this only from far off, or will it lose connection when you are sitting right next to the router? If it does it even inches away from the router, i'd say maybe your antenna is degraiding/dying.

If posssible try another machine with the same wireless card and see if it has same symptoms. A uninstall/reinstall of all wireless components and software might do the trick.

i know very little about wireless though besides the basics, so hopefully somoene with more know how can further assist you.

THanks for the hints, yeah it does it close or far, I dont have another machine to try, but I can try a new wireless card. I have had this one for ages...could be that. Plus I travel with it so it is a little beat up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom