Wireless connection ok but can't view webpages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Baseband Member
Hi everyone, i've set up a wireless home network, i've got a notebook connected to a belkin pre-n router. The computer says the connection is okay, and the signal strength is very good, however when i open IE6, I cannot view any webpages. I get the message 'website found. Waiting for reply' but then nothing happens. Any thoughts???

Fishy

Fishy, from the little info we have to go on my guess is this.
1. your router is blocking the request after the site has been found.
the router security setting might be set to high. The key is, it is saying website found. The router has to have a built in log of some sort. Take a look at it as see if it is building with dropped packets. I bet after the handshake with the webserver the packets are getting dropped before the site is downloaded.

2. though unlikely....... DNS

Thanks m8, i'll have a look. the thing thats confusing me now is that i have another PC running through the same router, albeit wired and not wireless. That one runs fine with no problems, so could it just be the wireless settings that are wrong?

do you have your computer's ip address setting on OBTAIN AUTOMATICALLY IP ADDRESS?

try a repair

i have same problem as him but when i try to repair it says failed to (do something forgot) with dns.

Thanks guys, I've managed to get around the problem by changing my encryption to 128-bit WEP, but its a shame i've got to do that when both the network card and the router are Belkin pre-n which can handle WPA encryp. Maybe theres some way to go before Belkin have got this one right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom