Wireless connection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latty05

Baseband Member
hi i have a Linksys Wired router which connects to my pc thru ethernet
i have a laptop which has a wireless G adapter card and sholud connec to the router no problem
i brought the laptop near to my router and installed new drivers and it was fine then i turned it off and took it downstairs again and tried it and it said the connection wasd at very good..not excellent then about 5 mins later said limited or no connectivity!!! WTF does it do that!!???
im guessing that the connection level is because its further away from the router.
plz help
i used the netcheck and netset programs suppied from linksys and it fixed it when it was near the router but wont fix it when its downstairs!

Are all of your attenas properly tightened. Are there any devices in your house or next to your house that may cause some disturbance in the signals (though I doubt it because routers use a way different signal than anything else).

About how far away are you from your router and is it going through a lot of walls? I used a wireless connection that was on the second floor and the router was in the basement, the signal remaind low/none no matter which wireless card we used.

Theres a really slim chance, but did you check if you are picking up the same signal from when you were next to your router and when you were far away from it. May have picked up your neighbors' ;)

no i checked its still the same signal its not too far its going thru only one wall

That's weird, the signal should be pretty strong. Have you dropped the router or the wireless card? Did you try plugging your laptop into a wall outlet, maybe the wireless card isn't getting enough power (is that possible?, maybe the card runs on the same voltage constantly).

No harm in trying though.

no the actual battery is ****ed at the moment it wont charge up but thats besides the point so yes the laptop is getting enough power

i put the laptop near the router now and plugged in the internet via a ethernet cable and automatically it says the wireless is fine
i took out the ethernet and its still fine :S

but what is the bet that when i turn the pc off and reboot downstairs it wont work!!

its so weird!!!

no the actual battery is ****ed at the moment it wont charge up but thats besides the point so yes the laptop is getting enough power

i put the laptop near the router now and plugged in the internet via a ethernet cable and automatically it says the wireless is fine
i took out the ethernet and its still fine :S

but what is the bet that when i turn the pc off and reboot downstairs it wont work!!

its so weird!!!

Hi all,

With regards to wirless internet, if my laptop Sony has build in wireless
internet, its all set up .

So now its set up to detect adsl settings, so if i go stand outside and my next door nabour has a wireless router will my laptop connect to it
!!!!!!

Thanks for the help

There should be a list of connections you can connect to, it should be in taskbar, if you spot your neighbors internet on that list, go ahead and click it. Maybe they encrypted it with a WEP key, you might have to crack that first.

RockyZ do you know how, if so could you tell me, if you dont want to say here you could email me

Thanks

Latty05, the chances are when you restart your computer downstair and when the wireless card tries to connect; it is picking up a weak signal and probably why it can't finish establishing a connection to the router. Now when you said you are close to the router this problem doesn't happen. Usually when this happens to me, I just right click and select repair. But if this doesn't help you might consider buying a repeater like the netgear extender that plugs into your wall and gives you a stronger signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom