wireless conn w/o host - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default wireless conn w/o host

I am looking to set up a wireless connection off of my current broadban one. I only have one computer (my laptop) with a DELL wireless card. Therefore, I cannot have a host computer. I am sure this is possible to do, however the installaton and setup disc that came with the wireless router only set up a host PC (which was my laptop). In this setup it had me on, my laptop was connected to the broadband at all time (diminishes point of wireless). Tips suggestions?

Old 08-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

what brand/model of router?

I would imagine there is a web-based interface for the router. You may need to hard-wire the laptop for the initial setup. (Setting the SSID/encription) Once that is done, though, you should be able to access any configuration you need wirelessly.

The router itself does not need a "host" to work. I think they just include the "install disc" to help out those who are new to routers/networking and may need a little help getting going.

the cake is a lie
Closed Thread