Wireless confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

skud

Solid State Member
Good day to all.

I am not the most up to speed on networking. I recently purchased a Linksys Wireless G+ router. In my house there are 3 desktops and 3 laptops. Ever since we purchased laptops 2 and 3 last week we have been experiencing endless IP conflicts. If i am on my laptop it kicks my sister off of hers. She and my other bother cannot both use their laptops at the same time. We use these laptops for wireless internet at school and at home. All 3 are HP. The desktops also lose internet when the laptops are online. How can I stop these IP conflicts?

It sounds as if the router can not handle that many connections. Which router is it? I see you say Linksys but which model?

run ipconfig/all on all puters, check the local ip and see which are conflicting.
Also have a look in your router CP (Gateway address from ipconfig if you're unsure) and check what's connected.

~ Tkey

Make sure that your router has an ip range that allows for this many connections at once - eg:

open a browser and type whatever your router ip is ie: 192.168.0.1

once logged into your router check that your router is configured to allow for # amount of connections :

it should say something like :

start ip address - 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.254

if it doesn't, modify it accordingly.

If the router is a linksys chances are by default the ip for it will be 192.168.1.1 and the user/pass is admin/admin

If you get to there and look around, check the range (thanks macabre4), the number of ip limit, and the dns settings. If you run into issues or need us to look at something, take screen shots of the admin page of the router and I or we will take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom