Wireless Compatibility with N and G Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee1976

Solid State Member
I just purchased a Linksys WRT150N Router for the family, replacing the old Linksys WRT54G. After installation on my desktop was done, internet connection was fine with the land line and with my new Dell Inspiron laptop (3 months old). But my sister's laptop was having issues. She has a Compaq that is about one year old. It recognizes my network (from my desktop) and says signal strength is excellent, but is unable to maintain a internet connection. I manage to get her laptop to connect briefly but the load time is horrible (it takes about 2 minutes to load Yahoo!). After the page loads, I lose connection if I try to navigate to more than 2 different websites. It's just a bad connection even though I'm only 7 feet away from the new router.

Vista is on all 3 computers. I've done the old powering down trick with the modem and router. I've restarted the computers, I don't really know why but it may help. The signal with the new Linksys N router is on "mixed" so it should be compatible with my sister's older laptop, and I also turned security off for the time being for convenience. What else can I try or do make this work?

I will concur.... With these ridiculous 'Draft N' products, they don't play well with mixed networks. You're either all in, or not in at all.... meaning, All N, or all G.... Personally, I stay with 802.11G, until such a time as 802.11N is properly ratified.

Thanks for the help guys. I tried the "G" signal only on the new router, but still unable to maintain a connection with the Compaq laptop. It was a fairly cheap router ($50) and I ordered it from TigerDirect.com. I guess I'll just keep it around until the "N" technology is more standard.

In the future, before ordering from Tiger Direct, you might want to shop around... Try ZipZoomFly.com & Newegg.com

Newegg is pretty much exclusivly where I order computer junk from online. GREAT service, fast shipping, pain-free RMA (in my 1 experience using it), and prices are almost ALWAYS cheapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom