Wireless Bridge Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjgundy

Beta member
I have a Dell Inspiron e1505 with a Dell 1500 Wireless card. I am trying to get my computer to connect to the internet via wireless, bridge the wireless to my LAN port, and from the LAN to the xbox. I am hoping to do this as I am staying in hotels this summer and don't have the $ for the official wireless adapter. My problem is as soon as I put the LAN and Wireless in the bridge together, I lose my internet. The wireless still shows connected, but shows "associated". I have been all over the internet and spent alot of time but I cannot get this to work. Any help or insight to this would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi.

Are you using an Xbox 360? If so, you don't need a crossover Ethernet cable. You can use a straight through standard Ethernet cable, because the NIC on the Xbox 360 (and likely also your laptop) supports automatic medium-dependent interface crossover or Auto-MDIX. Nowadays, almost all modern NIC devices implement Auto-MDIX, so crossover cables aren't much of a requirement as they once were.

What operating system are you using? Also, before creating the bridge, ensure that the IP settings for the LAN adapter is set to DHCP / automatic (and the wireless adapter, if you're not using manual IP settings).
...My problem is as soon as I put the LAN and Wireless in the bridge together, I lose my internet. The wireless still shows connected, but shows "associated"...
When a wireless adapter and LAN adapter are bridged in Windows, it's normal for the wireless adapter to appear disabled despite it being connected to the router (and having Internet access), with the wireless adapter icon in the taskbar tray displaying a red cross like so:

bridge-wireless-icon.png

(Note that in this example I haven't connected a device to the LAN adapter, hence it showing no connection)

When you say you lose Internet, do you mean you can't connect to websites in your browser?

Hi.

Are you using an Xbox 360? If so, you don't need a crossover Ethernet cable. You can use a straight through standard Ethernet cable, because the NIC on the Xbox 360 (and likely also your laptop) supports automatic medium-dependent interface crossover or Auto-MDIX. Nowadays, almost all modern NIC devices implement Auto-MDIX, so crossover cables aren't much of a requirement as they once were.

Will keep that in mind, thanks Alvin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom