wireless B and G question

Status
Not open for further replies.

godai73

Baseband Member
Hi. Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between wireless B and wireless G? I was at Best Buy today looking at wireless routers and saw the 2 different kinds. I was reading the Linksys box and the packaging of the back of the box for both looked almost identical except the wireless G one said it can transmit data up to 54Mbps (I think that is what it said). I asked the Best Buy guy and he looked at the box and said the wireless G can transmit data faster, which did not help me since I came to the same conclusion on my own. Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps a little.

Wireless B
Using the orthogonal FDM (OFDM) transmission method, there are two subsequent standards that provide up to 54 Mbps: 802.11ab transmits in the higher 5GHz frequency range and is not backward compatible with the slower 802.11b, but 802.11g works in the same frequency range and is compatible. The 11a and 11b standards are branded as "Wi-Fi", while 11g is known as "Wireless-G."

Here is some good info to help you better understand
http://www.mobilepipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=14800117

Basically G transmits data more than twice as fast as B, and also has Killer range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom