Wireless Adapter - Lenovo PC

litefoot

Beta member
Hello, I'm a new member, and my wireless network knowledge is not great so excuse my lack of knowledge when I ask the following question :)

I have just purchased a Lenovo desktop PC (Lenovo ThinkCentre Edge 72 Pentium G645). I've only used a netbook for the last few years at home and it's been a good long while since I owned a PC.

I assumed on purchase that it came with a wireless adapter but it doesn't. Having been used to a netbook for so long, I took it for granted that it would have one! Stupid of me. So obviously the new PC can't detect any networks, and there's nothing listed in Network Connections. So I either have to get a wireless adapter or go wired. Unfortunately the nearest phone socket is in another room, and an extension cable isn't practical for reasons I won't go into. So I either have to get a new phone socket (too expensive) or get a wireless adapter. Can anyone recommend a wireless adapter good enough to give me the same level of performance as a wired connection? I'm on BT total broadband by the way.

Last edited:
No wireless option will give you the same performance / reliability as wired. Wired is always better than wireless because there is less latency / interference.

Anyway, the best option would be to get a PCI wireless card, if you want a bit more reliability as far as signal goes. USB ones should be fine as well ,but depending on how your router is situated in comparison to your desktop, you could have a slight drop in signal.

No wireless option will give you the same performance / reliability as wired. Wired is always better than wireless because there is less latency / interference.

Anyway, the best option would be to get a PCI wireless card, if you want a bit more reliability as far as signal goes. USB ones should be fine as well ,but depending on how your router is situated in comparison to your desktop, you could have a slight drop in signal.

Thanks for the quick reply carnage.

I don't play any online games or use applications where a wired connection is important (ie giving me the best signal possible) which is why I'm not bothered about going wired. The cost of installing an extension or a new phone socket would be prohibitive anyway.

Can you recommend a good PCI wireless card or USB?

Back
Top Bottom