Wireless adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keef_haggerd

Solid State Member
Today I realized i dont know a single thing about wireless stuff.

So my mom just ordered a gateway labtop and she could get a wireless router for $20, so i told her to get it considering routers arent any less then $50 most of the time.

Well I then was thinking "what the heck do i need to put into MY computer so i can pick up on the internet?"

i was looking on new egg and was like "uhhh"

so what replaces my ethernet card? is it a wireless adapter? because thats the only thing that looked to me like it would work.

Do you have a laptop or a desktop? Yes, a wireless adapter is what you need. If you have a laptop with PCMCIA slots, then you want a card to fit that. (That's a slot somewhere on the side of your computer, usually has a little door on it, looks like a floppy drive but smaller). Just do a search for it.

If you have a desktop then go for a PCI or USB adapter.

Let us know what kind of computer you have and we'll talk you through what you need to do.

thanks, its a desktop, an old gateway, and our wireless router is a D-link, which is better USB or PCI? and cheaper,im going ot check some out at pricewatch.

USB and PCI adapters will both work equally well. But you must open your case to install PCI and make sure you have an available slot first!

USB will be obviously be simpler to install, just plug it in. Also you may get slightly better reception with the usb adapter because you can put the antenna anywhere instead of it being stuck in back of your pc case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom