Wireless Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
My mother currently has a PCI Wireless card. Very much similar to this one. Same manufacturer, slight different model.

Newegg.com - ENCORE ENLWI-G(2) IEEE 802.11b/g TPCI Standard Universal Add-in card Compliant with PCI 2.0 Wireless Adapter Up to 54Mbps Wireless Data Rates Supports wireless data encryption with 64/128-bit WEP standard for security, Su

She is complaining that she is getting a slow connection. So I look into it. Do a speedtest. On our 7Mbps cable internet, she normally gets around 3-4Mbps. I run wireless strength tests. she is within the 50-60dBs, I believe. Been awhile since I did so.

The router is upstairs. Her computer is down stairs, directly across the house. Here's a quick diagram I made up:

wireless.png

Lines show where it has to go. Typically through one wall and a floor.

So, she also owns a laptop. In the same area, it works fine.

I am thinking that the card is just not strong enough. Will dual band help this?

Edit: Just did a test on it.

Speedfan: ping 33 DL 4.5Mbps UL 0.43Mbps

dBa is 62-63 using inSSIDer

That looks like a G wireless card. How many bars do you see on the wireless connection? How many on the laptop which works fine there? If the laptop and router are N and the problem computer is G then that would be a signal strength issue with the G card. You could try changing the router to a different channel.

Let me check. I think it is just G. The laptop has N. The laptop gets 4 bars where the desktop has 3. I'll see if changing the channel helps it any.

Edit: Yeah, only B/G. Desktop gets 4 bars, actually.

I can't change the channel on it, it is grayed out on my D-Link. Anyhow, there is absolutely no reason it should be "slow".

All the tests I did on it did not clarify that it is slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom