Wireless access local only(Vista)

Status
Not open for further replies.

josingleton

Baseband Member
I am having alot of trouble lately with Vista and wireless networks. About 1 out of 3 laptops that I have reinstalled lately are not connecting to the internet through wireless. I have done much troubleshooting and research on google and I have wracked my brain but I can't fix it. Uninstall all norton products, turn off all firewalls, there was even a site that gave a tutorial on how to edit a registry key (I don't remember what it was) but none of it worked. Is there some kind of common problem or mistake that I may be making? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What kind of wireless are you running from your router (wep, WPA, WPA2, either with aes or tkip?)

Also, what is your router's and wireless card's speed? B/G/N?

Is it password protected?

I believe it's WPA2 and idk what aes or tkip is. It is wireless G for both card and router It is password protected. However I've tested them on other wireless networks and no luck.

AES and TKIP are different wireless encryptions, you have to use one or another. I'd recommend AES myself.

Are you using windows to connect to the network, or are you using a 3rd party software?

I meant is the wireless connection password protected? The router has to be password protected. I meant, when you connect to the network, do you need to input a password to connect?

So what, specifically, happens? Does it connect to the router, but get a bad connection? Or doesn't it find the router at all?

Ya it connects. It says local access only. If you go to Manage network connections, it says Unidentified network. I just don't get it because I've never seen anything like this with xp but it happens all the time with vista. I work for a Rent to Own store, so we periodically get laptops back that I have to reinstall before we can sell them again. The computer will be connecting fine then after I reinstall it, sometimes it just doesn't work. Most the time this happens with Acer Extensa 4420 and Dell Vostro 1000. Perhaps it is just a driver problem. However drivers are installed and saying that they work fine. Sorry for the fragmented post, I'm a bit hung over. :)

No problem, man. You might want to get either the updated, or default drivers from the manufacturer of your chip (if you can look at it, or use PC Wizard)

Ya I have searched for hours for different drivers for both of these computers. I have downloaded the acer drivers from the US site and from the euro site, etc. Nothing is working. I will check into PC Wizard though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom