Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
My mum said today that she hates the cords going from telephone line to the ADSL modem. She asked if i could do anything to get rid of it, so i said we could do a wireless network. I have a desktop PC, so i would need a Wireless PCI card, but also i need a Wireless device that has 1 or more Ethernet ports on it so i can plug in my ADSL modem.

Im not sure of all the different terms used with wireless equipment - do i need a Router or what?

Wayne

D-Link DWL-2000AP+ 54M Wireless Access Point
Bridging device between wired and wireless network, upto 54Mb transfer rate, 802.11b and 802.11* compatible. Retail version.

THIS^^^?

waynejkruse10 said:
My mum said today that she hates the cords going from telephone line to the ADSL modem...

I hate to tell you this, but a wireless network is not going to remove this wire. That wire has to stay. You can move the modem closer to the phone jack, and then add a wireless router to the network.

Personally, I would look for a wireless router, if you don't have a router in your netwrok setup already. The ones that I see in stores usually are a 4 port switch with an access point built in to it. This way you can use wires for any computers that are close to the router, and any that are farther away will need to have an adapter.

Now, if there is already a router in your network, you can pick up an access point like what you were just looking at. It plugs directly into one of the ports on your home router.

I hate to tell you this, but a wireless network is not going to remove this wire. That wire has to stay. You can move the modem closer to the phone jack, and then add a wireless router to the network.

Thats the plan

Just a side note--if you do any gaming, or anything of the sort, I would highly recommend NOT using wireless if at all possible. It's just so much better to be wired in...

Just a side note--if you do any gaming, or anything of the sort, I would highly recommend NOT using wireless if at all possible. It's just so much better to be wired in...

Do you mean network gaming or internet gaming?

this is only going to be used for the internet, i will still have a hard wired network for everything else

Xula said:

Honestly if your on a strong signal WiFi is great for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom