Wireless ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

makitaman60

Baseband Member
Hi Everyone
I'm knew to this forum and more than likely will only use it seldom. I do have a question that I'm sure has been asked & answered several times in the past, just point me to the thread our tell me what I really need to know which ever is this best. Just purchased a new Dell laptop XPS M1530 it has the wireless networking cards 1490 802.11a/g mini card, what ever that means, I have a older Dell desk top Demension 4600. I'm currently connected to Centurytel DSL. Just want to be able to access the Internet via laptop also. I'm lost when it comes to this, one place is telling me to buy this and ones telling me to buy that, then I will have to have the router re-config for the Centurytel DSL. I'm thinking the only thing wireless is the laptop the desk top should still be hardlined. Just need some honest guidance please help if you can. If you need anymore information I'll help as much as I can,:) haven't purchased anything as of now except the laptop that should be here in a few days. I'll check back tomorrow getting late. Thanks Again !
Makitaman60

for that setup i recommend

centrytel DSL to a D-Link DI-625 router (wireless/hardline capable)

laptop will have both wireless and hardline so choose how you want to connect with that.

the desktop does not need wireless - unless you do not have long enough or simply don't want to run the cable to it. then i would go wireless (but i'm sure you already have cable ran to it).

the d-link should provide you with a "quick guide" to setting up a wireless network, complete with pictures :)

since you have dsl, i recommend you have the router do the dialing - router stores username and password and simply passes it through your dsl modem.
guide for that should be provided as well, if not, get the full manual from d-link site before set it up.

Thank's for the info; I'll give it a shot. Didn't sound like much to it, but it's always cheaper to ask. Thank's again I'm sure I'll have more questions down the road.

Makitaman60:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom