Wired Shared Printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtile

Fully Optimized
I know you can hook up a printer with the wireless USB bridge but how do you use it with a wired network? Ethernet to USB?

If you plug it straight into the network, you need to assign that printer an ip address, and it will require every machine that logs onto it to download the drivers; which sometimes requires an install CD.

If you host it from another PC, then that PC acts as the print server and allows all other PCs on the network to connect to the printer under a share, usually without much effort involved.

I personally like hosting a printer from a PC, though I have done it through a network before. It all gives you the same result.

switch said:
If you plug it straight into the network, you need to assign that printer an ip address, and it will require every machine that logs onto it to download the drivers; which sometimes requires an install CD.

If you host it from another PC, then that PC acts as the print server and allows all other PCs on the network to connect to the printer under a share, usually without much effort involved.

I personally like hosting a printer from a PC, though I have done it through a network before. It all gives you the same result.

Not really because if you share a printer locally that computer has to be on for anyone to be able to print to that printer. With a network based printer the only thing that has to be active is the router or switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom