wire vs. wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameraMan

Banned
I was wondering the ups and down of wirelesss and wire networking. I would like to have computers in varius areas of my house. How am i better off?

With wireless you dont have to string cables all over your house and if you have a laptop, you have a lot more freedom to move around.

Hey CameraMan,

The question you need to answer is What you want to do
with your LAN. These various computers if some are Laptops
you may want the flexability to move from room to room while still connected to the internet. If you keep very sensitive material
on your computer than a wired LAN configured correctly will be
more secure. But also with the right configuration you can make
your Wireless LAN secure from everyone but the most accomplished hackers.

If you will be transferring large files back and forth between computers than a 10/100 wired network with 100 mb NIC cards
will offer the best performance. There is always to sides to this
picture. Wireless G networks that use the same Router ie(D-link,
Linksys) and PC Card offer a Turbo mode advertised at 108mb.
Don't get caught up with 108mb that's the theroratical limit not
actual. In speed test the Wireless G seems to transfer from 15 -
28 mb a second which is pretty fast.

The wired LAN will more than likely cost less to implement.
But the wireless LAN is not expensive per say to implement.

Good Luck.

the computers are all pc's and will not be moved around. The computer are sharing hardrive space and i want this to be a fast lan network for gaming in varius different rooms with people.

If you're going to try setting up a local lan party in your house, I would go with the wired network. It's going to be faster and, depnding on wall thickness and construction, will probably be more reliable than a wireless network will be.

hilowe said:
If you're going to try setting up a local lan party in your house, I would go with the wired network. It's going to be faster and, depnding on wall thickness and construction, will probably be more reliable than a wireless network will be.

I agree with hilowe,

If you are not planning on moving the PC's around, go with the wired setup. It will save you money and your LAN bandwith won't suffer.

I agree with the other guys that the wired setup is
going to offer the best performance. Try to buy
a decent quality 10/100 NIC for the computers if
you will be Gaming.

What if i have a laptop do wireless routers still support connecting in the back STILL with wired speed?

agreed....definitely go with a wired network. Its faster and more efficient. A bit of a hastle because of the wires you'll be running, but its MUCH better...

go wired!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom