windows XP Profesional Edition question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

neo1

Beta member
windows XP Profesional Edition question

Hi guys, i need your help, i got a call from my dad, he is panicing because there's a slight change on his computer. Whenever the comp is booted, (windows shows up, sign on screen, desktop icons and wallpaper shows up) Even the mouse pointer shows up and can be moved around on screen , but not clickable until the Windows startup music plays, which takes quite a while to play on start-ups. Approximately 1 minute and a 1/2. It's a fairly new system with 512 mb of memory. Disk clean-ups done regularly and old and unwanted programs removed from the Add/Remove Programs category under Control panel. Is there something that we can do to fix this slow music startup? One other thing, the original Wallpaper he had (downloaded from the Net) was also remove and a Microsoft desktop theme wallpaper was selected. Thank you in advance for your help.

make sure the equivalent of "active desktop" is disabled in winXP. it is in display properties by right clicking an empty area on desktop and select "properties". under the "desktop" tab click "customize desktop" and under "web" tab make sure no boxes are checked for "web pages:"

if this does not fix it think about recent programs that have been installed. your problem is related to recent software changes made to the computer which cause the desktop to look different. check the add/ remove program list in control panel for suspicious programs. also check the system tray on the bottom right corner of desktop. if you see newly installed programs you do not recognize you can try to disable them.

to disable them select [start button> run]. in run box type "msconfig". under the "startup" tab it allows you to disable services and applications that run on windows startup. uncheck to disable suspicious programs from starting. to restore normal startup settings go back to msconfig and under "general "check the radio button to enable "normal startup".

if all of my advice has failed and noone else has found your solution the easiest way to fix your problem is to use the restore CD that came with your computer and restore the operating system back to the way your computer was when you bought it. this is something you may want to do first since it is a new computer. backup any files you want to save first.

Couldn't of even come close to saying it better. Yea, try what is posted above!

-Mike

You may want to boot the computer in SAFE MODE.... when following EK's advice.

If ya need to know how to do that, just ask ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom