Windows XP installation disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lintama

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I have found an installation disc for Windows XP home. Can I use it on another computer? I have the product key.

Depends on whether the disc has been used. Is it still sealed? Do you know whether it's been used in the past?

If its an OEM version, it's likely to have been shipped with a particular product (like a PC) and if its been used, the serial key that you posess will be "tied" to the motherboard of the PC that the disc was shipped with - in this case, the short answer is no, it cannot be used.

But, if its OEM and HASN'T been installed or activated - you could potentially install it on another PC, but beware, once installed and the key has been entered - the disc is tied to that computer, and that computer ONLY. You can reinstall the OEM software on the SAME PC in the event of a failure (virus for example) but not on a totally different PC. There is no Microsoft support, manuals or even a box with OEM software.

If its a retail disc, you should be able to install in on another computer and it won't be tied to that computer ONLY. But once again, you'd need to know whether it has been used or not. Retail versions give the user the freedom to install ONE copy on a computer, but it can be reinstalled on another computer if the original computer is no longer in operation/broke/upgraded to a newer OS etc.

Complicated, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom