Windows XP and Domain Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsrt

Baseband Member
Hopefully this is an easy question.

I have a secondary DC that is eventually going to crash. Problem is, some of our Windows XP boxes will only authenticate to the bad DC.

I'm pretty sure it's a cache issue, just not sure where it's cached. Is there a way to either clear the cache so it searches for another DC or somehow be able to tell the computers which DC I want them to use?

Not sure if more info is needed, let me know.

Thank you for your time.

CCleaner cleans cache. For every browser as well. That could be your option.

Ok, I've been doing some digging into this and I finally found an answer. So now if anyone else runs across this, they'll know where to go.

You can specify which DC to use by using group policies on an Organizational Unit within active directory.

Right click on the OU and select Properties. Click on the last tab which should be Group Policy...if you don't have anything in the box, click on New then click Edit. Navigate to the User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Group Policy then find the Group Policy domain controller selection.

Once the policies are in place on the OU, you can then drag and drop certain users, groups and even computers into this OU and the policy will apply.

Hope this helps someone else.

You don't have to set this by GPO either.
By default, when a computer is authenticating to a domain, it will search (via DNS) for a domain controller. It will usually use the one that responds the fastest (which is usually one on the same network link).

If the "bad DC" is no longer on that link, it will authenticate to the one other DC's.

You don't have to set this by GPO either.
By default, when a computer is authenticating to a domain, it will search (via DNS) for a domain controller. It will usually use the one that responds the fastest (which is usually one on the same network link).

If the "bad DC" is no longer on that link, it will authenticate to the one other DC's.

The problem I was having is that even after I removed the bad DC from the network...computers would still try to authenticate to it...then, after a timeout period, I would get the "No domain controller found" error.

It never would look for another DC.

this old server could be the Operations Master for the domain.

right click your domain, head to "operations master" see what DC handles all these roles.

info on the Operations Master role:
Microsoft Corporation

I hadn't thought of that one, but upon checking, the good DC is the Operations Master.

Thank you for the direction though. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom