Windows Server 2003 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could also try making the local profile folder (C:\Documents and Settings\user) into a share and accessing it via the server. Copy it from there into the share on your profile.

Also, on the computer try getting to the share via Run in the start menu. I think there is an underlying problem if you cant get to the share...

The problem i'm having is that i can't find the folder i make on the servers hard drive with the windows XP computer. I can't find it with add a new network place or with anything eles. Its like the folder is hidden when i look for it on the Windows Xp computer but when i switch to the server i see it.

What happens when you type in the following from the XP comp?:
\\server

Also what is the local path for the share on your server (ie: C:\folder)?

When i type \\Server1 i get this error Failed to set security on the destination profile. Error - The finename, Directory name, or volume lable syntax is incorrect.

and the file on the server is C:\Profiles

I would try to ping the server from your XP machine. It seems like there isnt any connectivity between the 2.

On server:

Start>Run...>type in 'cmd' into the text box.

A DOS prompt will open. Type the following:

ipconfig

This will give you info about the servers network configuration. Write the IP address down and take it to the XP computer.

At the XP computer:

Start>Run...>type in 'cmd' into the text box.

A DOS prompt will open. Type the following:

ping x.x.x.x

Replace the x.x.x.x with the IP address you got from the Server.

It will then say that the destination host is inaccessible or that you get a response.

Post back what the response is.

when i pinged the server this is what i got.

Ping statistics for x.x.x.x:
Packets: sent = 4, recived = 4, lost = 0 <0% loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 1ms, average = 0ms

Ok. Now it sounds like you have a problem with DNS. On your XP machine type the following (in the command prompt):

ipconfig /all

Look for where it says "Dns Servers."
Is there an IP address listed for a DNS server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom