Windows Media Center/Xbox 360 issues baffling me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megaton Aaron

Beta member
Okay, I tried posting this in the gamespot forums, but I really don't expect much help there since it's primarily frequented by 13 year olds who seem to spend a majority of their free time arguing whether Halo could beat up Solid Snake in a cage fight and questioning one another's sexual preference. I did a google for "tech forums" and this was the first one that came up, so here goes. Maybe you can help me. Oh, and sorry if this isn't the most appropriate forum... it's network, xbox, and microsoft software related, but the problem seems to be a network thing.

I just got a new laptop that has Windows 7 with Windows Media Center on it. Tonight I figured I'd finally get around to configuring it to run with my 360. I was able to get it connected and running and everything, yet I can only get a 3 bar connection (out of 15). Even trying to browse through the media center menu on the 360 is extremely laggy... I won't even bother trying to actually stream anything.

When I set up the network test thing it tells me there's a heavy load on my network or something (there isn't). The microsoft site tells me that streaming video, etc is more demanding on the network, yadd yadda crap I already know.... the thing is, I have Netflix, and I can get on it with both my laptop and 360 and it shows me having an excellent connection and streams in HD without a problem. I can easily stream videos from my PC through the "video library" portion of the 360 dashboard (using windows media player), and they all play without a problem and no buffering time. So everything has a great connection except for media center.

I'm relatively knowledgeable when it comes to computers, and I can usually figure this kind of stuff out... but this one has me stumped. I have tried disabling the godawful MacAfee firewall that came with the computer, and also found a list of ports that Media Center uses and forwarded them on my router. The 360 also has been port forwarded with all ports listed at portforward.com for the Media Center Extender. None of these things improved the signal whatsoever.

Am I missing something? Has anyone here ever set up something like this and had similar problems? The low connection thing baffles me. If it was completely blocked I could almost understand, but I cannot figure out why it would just be a poor connection when everything else works extremely well.

Help?

I am assuming the win7 machine is on wireless.

Have you tried a wired connection to determine if it is a wireless issue only?

Correct, both are wireless. I have not tried connecting both wired, as it would involve moving the xbox to a different room and everything, but I can try that in the morning and come back with the results.

It would be nice to nail it down to a OS problem versus a wireless problem. My guess is you are too far away from the router effecting your network speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom