Windows Home Server Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greencow_555

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I've been asked to setup a server at my work office, we have 3 computers.

I was just about to try Windows Home Server, then I watched an online review that has made me wonder whether it will actually do what I want it to do.

My goal is:
To have NO files stored on individual staff pc's. I want all files to be stored on a single machine and for each of us to access files there on that machine, rather than storing clumps of files on each of our individual workstations and having to share them in bits and peices.

Can I use a machine with windows home server installed to house all the office files and make them accessible to our workstation pc's?

Many thanks,
Gaz

You can use home server to accomplish this - but IMO it's going to be a huge waste of money. If you are just going to share files and folders in one location you are better served just creating a dummy terminal that holds all of the files. Unless you need to setup a true file share environment, spending money on home server would be a waste.

Especially with only 3 office PC's. If you are sharing files over the network i believe there is an access limit of like 8 or something, but since you only have 3 PC's that isn't an issue.

Build a PC that will hold the files, make sure to build some redundancy into it (IE RAID 1 or RAID 5 setup), also incorporate some type of backup solution, like using windows backup to backup the files to an external drive.

I don't know if you are using XP or 7, but 7 has some very nice permissions settings that XP really doesn't have. So you can have permissions setup on specific folders and files if certain users should connect.

So... summary:
Home Server is going to be overkill for you, only if special permissions or networking needs need to be met should you use a server for this. Home server can do this, but for 3 PC's it's a bit overkill IMO unless you guys are planning to expand within the next year to more than 10 PC's.

Setup a PC that will keep your files secure and safe, make sure that you have some redundancy setup so if a hard drive fails you don't lose all your files.

Thanks very much for your response.

I had wondered whether WHS would be overkill. As long as I can store files, and have backups scheduled automatically then I should be happy.

I think I was looking at windows home server because it was recommended for LESS than 10 computers. From what I read WHS cannot actually deal with more than 10 computers?

We're currently on XP, but I think I'll be upgrading to windows 7 with the new setup.

Lol, the word redundancy went right over my head, but I will do some looking around and see if I can find some tuts'. :)

Again, many thanks for your advice.
Gaz

Ya windows XP backup isn't great, but if you guys are going to use Windows 7, the backup utility is really nice. You can schedule times and put the backups on external drives. I do that just for my home PC.

I didn't know about the les than 10 computers, but if you are only going to have 3 to 4 users accessing files then a standard Windows 7 build should do. I just checked and windows 7 allows 20 simultaneous connections to a drive via the network.

Redundancy - meaning you don't have all of your files in one place, you have multiple locations for the files so that if something were to happen to one drive (because drives to fail) you would have a backup.

Also i would suggest connecting this PC directly to the network, don't use wifi or hubs / switches. If you can connect it directly to the router do so. Otherwise the network performance is going to suck.

Feel free to ask if you have further questions. You can always shoot me an email too - check my website - i get those emails instantly, opposed to the forum i check a few times a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom