windows 98 and xp filesharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
hey, both comptuers are in workgroup with compatible IPs, XP Pro can see the 98 box but when 98 box tries to browse network it brings up an error that says 98 box can't browse the network...anyone have an idea why?

You have Client for Microsoft Networks listed in your network adapter property? Firewall should be disable for the moment, verify you have NetBIOS, TCP/IP, File and Print Sharing, Client for Microsoft Network all listed in the property and that you can ping the other end. The share folder on XP should have the Everyone group on both sharing and security listed and permission is set to read&execute, list content and read.

do you have the firewall turned off in xp. The xp firewall is only one way, it will block incomming only not outgoing that is why you can see the win98 and the win98 canot se the xp box.

alright, i'll check those, but i dont get why the 98 machine cant browse the actual network, it cant even get permissions to see what computers are in the workgroup..does this make a difference?

actually it could be anything, I usually try to go from most likely to least likely...now if I was sitting at your 'puters that would be a whole different matter.

You said the windows 98 can't see the computers ? I thought it was just an XP machine and a windows 98 machine ?
If you have another xp , can they see each other ?

more then likely if just the 2 as before, yes if xp's firewall is on
you can see the other pc , but the other pc may not see the xp machine, the xp firewall is one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom