Win2003 and XP and shared file with a permission to one user

Status
Not open for further replies.

zillah

In Runtime
I have got two PCs win2003 and XP,,,,,PCA and PCB (both PCs on my LAN through my linksys router WAG54G V2).

I created a folder on PCA (win2003), called "My Stuff",,,I created many users on PCA (employees, jsmith, test1, test2), I enabled sharing for the folder "My Stuff", and I gave permission (read only) to the username "employees" only, I deleted the username "Everyone" which is by default there.

1- From PCB (XP) , I opened run, then I typed in : \\192.168.1.64-----for win2003

2- Screen poped up (first time), I typed in the username:jsmith (not employees), the password:newsletter.

3- I was able to see "My Stuff", since it is shared folder, but I could not access, since jsmith has not been given permission to access it (only username "employees" has been given permission to access it ).

4- After that (second time, third time,,,etc), when I try to type in: \\192.168.1.64, I will be forwarded to a window with "My Stuff" folder (PCB still remember the previous session for username "jsmith"), I was not able to type in the username: test1, password: forum (because I have not greeted with a pop up screen!!!!),,,,,,,,,,What should I configure to let the (PCB) provides me with the pop screen for the new username (employees) ?

5- When I tried to type in : \\192.168.1.64\My Stuff (when I typed in only \\192.168.1.64 no erro message),,,,,,I received this error message :
\196.230.165.135\My Stuff is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resources. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission.

I tried at work to redo the same scenario again with two PCs , my laptop (2003) and IBM Desktop (2003, not XP) (no domain they are stand alone PCs,,,they are on the same LAN with public ip addresses).

from the Laptop I tried to access the Desktop , I received this erro message:
Code:
no network provider accepted the given network path

NetBIOS is not routable if you are going through a router or routers, you may have to use NetBIOS over TCP/IP. You may have experience that at work. Have you tried to ping the desktop by IP address and name just to get a response?

About the sharing issue, I would check the security tab of the folder. You should be able to identify what group has permission, you should also check what group the user are in. I believe after the first login it was cache, open up cmd on 2003 and do nbtstat -R to clear the cache table. Do this on XP also.

NetBIOS is not routable
Yes I agree with that, but as i mentioned that we are :
they are on the same LAN with public ip addresses

Have you tried to ping the desktop by IP address and name just to get a response
Yes I tried name and ip address for the Desktop IBM. They were successful.

About the sharing issue, I would check the security tab of the folder.
The username is there.

you should also check what group the user are in
Is it mandotary I have to add a username and his group ? Or I can add only a user without his group, or I can add a group only,,,in the latter , all users belong to that group, that has been added should be able to access.

About the situation at work, do you have the firewall disable?

It's easier to configure permisson by adding groups instead of individual user, but sometime you don't want a certain user in the group to access the resource so you want to remove that user from the group or remove the group from the share and add individual user. But that is just more work. What I'm trying to say is even though "employees" may have permission in the sharing tab to access the resource, Jsmith may still be in a group in the security tab and that group may have permission to access the share.

Ok. I am assuming you are trying to connect to it by using the netBIOS prefix \\IPaddress, but what happen when you are browsing my network, can you locate it, and access it from my network place? Anyways, it's like 2 AM here and quite tired I am. Can't even think anymore...........errerrawrrrh. SLeep time

can you locate it, and access it from my network place?
Yes I can locate it and access it.

it's like 2 AM here and quite tired I am. Can't even think anymore...........errerrawrrrh. SLeep time
Good night and nice dreem , I really appreciate your comment and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom