win 98/XP sharing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ph3nyX

Solid State Member
i've got 4 computers on my home network, 2 running 98SE and 2 running XP home. One of the XP home computers can see the shared folders from the other XP home computers, but thats all i can see. the other 3 computers cant see anything...

i'm using an ASOUND AL500P PCI router... all my firewall settings are good, still no luck

Try this: (XP machines)

Open My Computer
../ Tools
../ Folder Options
../ Uncheck 'use simple file sharing'

See if this makes a difference in your ability to view shares.

Interested to see if it makes a difference.

are your XP machines set up with NTFS file system?? if so that would explaine the 98 comps fat cant read NTFS

well according to microsoft its true although im sure there is 3rd part stuff to change it

perkoset said:
are your XP machines set up with NTFS file system?? if so that would explaine the 98 comps fat cant read NTFS

This statement is misunderstood and is incorrect, lets clarify this for everyone.

AFTER your computer is able to boot into windows and proper authentication (This is done by the OS when logging in) has taken place, yes they can share files between file systems (FAT and NTFS). You can see files on both systems regardless of the file system used.

To clarify what perkoset meant to say is, when NOT in a windows environment, FAT and NTFS can't speak with each other, if you try to boot a NTFS drive with a Windows 98 boot disk (Which has a FAT32 format) you will not have access to the C:, while if you try to access a Windows 98 FAT32 Drive, you will have your system right there readily available.

The differnce is caused by the advanced security features in NTFS, its is designed to "hide" from your typical DOS boot disk acces.

Again, they are not compatible ONLY in a DOS, non-authenticated environment, the third party utility is basically a way to "fool" the computer into thinking DOS has authenticated properly and it will mount your C: so you can access it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom