Will this Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuThoRitY

Daemon Poster
Ok, heres the plan. I'm building my bro a computer, and the finishing parts come tomorrow. Heres the question. I, on my computer right now am running a 54mbps NETGEAR Wireless Router. w/ 4 10/100 ports as well. I don't have a long enough cable to reach his room so can I run a cable from a diff comp port other than my own on the netgear to about 25ft away, to a 5-port Hub, along with a "uplink port" and then run another cable off of that into his computer.... Would that work...

So basically its a cable from my router to a hub and then to his comp... I don't want to do it wireless, because I hear gaming over wireless just blows. Along with file sharing,, So I'm gonna do it wired because are rooms are fairly close to one another on the same floor.

it can be done by that way. your router will act as a gateway. But you need to make sure that Its a straight Cat 5 cable or a cross over cable required from your router to the hub. Normally cross over cable will be required in this case.

Yes, it will work.

Since you are going to be using the uplink port on the hub, you'll need to straight-through cables (cat 5e or cat 6). form your exisitng Netgear router, connect to the uplink port on the hub, and then from the hub to the computer. Some hubs that I have seen won't let you use one of the ports if you're using the uplink port, either the first port or the last port.

If you didn't have the uplink port on the hub, then, yes, you would need one crossover cable, and one straight through.

Thumbs up

yeha man shud work, just straight thru patch cables shud do the job, I don't really know what these modern switches are like but when i first turn on my 24 port 100baseT switch it can take half a minute to get going though i think most are instant now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom