Will a ethernet hub work for my situation?

Chad711

Daemon Poster
I just recently built a new home and one of the upgrades I did was a networking box. Basically instead of having wireless all through the house I have a ethernet connection in 4 rooms where I knew I would have a device connected. Well instead of having them install two ethernet ports per room I just went the cheap route and did one per room. Wish I did two now..

Two of these rooms have AT&T U-Verse and they use a internet connection...therefore taking my only ethernet connection in those rooms. I thought about getting two ethernet hubs for those rooms so I can connect two or three devices to one port.

Is this going to work? It would be Blu-ray players, PS3, Xbox360, a TV all connecting to the ports. Will this work? I would think there would be IP Address issue but I don't know how these hubs work.

Thanks for the help

ok, can I use two switches in two rooms with out any issues? Just want to make sure before I place a order. Thanks

Ok I have a few more questions after running into a Fry's dude that seem to do some networking stuff.

How do I determine if I need a standard switch or a gigabit switch? I saw 10/100 and 10/100/1000 switches.

Off topic some but curious to know....
I currently have AT&T Uverse for cable and internet. They installed this all in one modem and wireless router deal. Before this place I had a dual band router that split bandwidth for me and it seemed to work well. I could stream movies and play games online with out a hiccup.

Would it be in my best interest to bypass the wireless router in the AT&T deal and use my router instead? I was told by Fry's dude that I can bypass that router in the AT&T deal.

Edit: After doing some reading it looks like 10/100 is fine for anything internet but for file sharing, transferring files you want the gigabit. So my question is, if I stream movies from my computer to another device connected to my TV should I go gigabit?

Ok I have a few more questions after running into a Fry's dude that seem to do some networking stuff.

How do I determine if I need a standard switch or a gigabit switch? I saw 10/100 and 10/100/1000 switches.
Only reason you'd need a gigabit switch is if you're doing a lot of large-file transfers over your local network. But, even then, if the computers weren't on the same switch, then the rest of your equipment would need to have gigabit ports on them as well. Mainly up to you whether or not you'd want to spend the extra money to get a gigabit switch.

Off topic some but curious to know....
I currently have AT&T Uverse for cable and internet. They installed this all in one modem and wireless router deal. Before this place I had a dual band router that split bandwidth for me and it seemed to work well. I could stream movies and play games online with out a hiccup.

Would it be in my best interest to bypass the wireless router in the AT&T deal and use my router instead? I was told by Fry's dude that I can bypass that router in the AT&T deal.

You should be fine switching out their router for yours, as long as its just the router. Did AT&T give you a router and a modem, or just a wireless modem? In other words, did they give you 2 boxes, or just 1 box that does both?

If it's 2 boxes (router and modem separate), then you should be fine swapping out the AT&T one for yours, as long as their is no special thing that router is doing.

If it's only 1 box (router + modem combo), then no, you won't be able to remove it, since it's a modem as well.

You could always disable the routing capabilities of the AT&T modem, and put your wireless router inline with the modem.

So it'd be:
[modem] ---- [router] ---- [switch] ---- [devices]

It's only one box (modem and router in one). I'll probably just get the 10/100's then. Appreciate your help man!

Back
Top Bottom