Will a broadband connection that requires user login work using a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I was planning on getting a wireless broadband connection to my home and sharing it on my laptop using a wireless router...
but the thing is; it turned out that there should be a user login to an account so that I can use the internet; just like dialup when you have to login with a user name and password...

Will it still work using a router????????? I know that on dialup, you cannot connect on 2 computers at the same time with the same account info...is it the same here??????

Lets say I login using my username and pass on my desktop...if I access the internet on the laptop, wont it work??? Or cant I also logg in from the laptop to my account (if I am not logged in from my desktop)

Any help is much appreciated...

thanx

Plug the modem directly into the router and then from there connect the rest of your pc's into the router. Most routers, atleast I know netgear and linksys, have a page where you can enter the username and password needed to login to get your DSL. Netgear routers even come with a setup wizard that helps you set it up.

thank you for your reply...
so basically, if I connect the line directly to the router. I can login from there and all users can access the internet? I think I read somewhere on one of the ISPs websites that it is limited to 1 user on a pc at a time...will that matter? It will still work bc im sharing the connection, not loggin in at 2 different places at the same time...right?

Do all netgear routers come with that wizard or at least the page where you can log in? What about other routers? If they dont have that page, does that mean that I cant share the connection? Or can I still log in from any of the PCs the router is connected to and then, all others will have access to the internet?

Thanx again...

btw, do you have a netgear or a linksys router? I was thinking of getting a netgear one...do you advise me to do so? Is netgear any good? Have you had any troubles with it (or have you heard any one having trouble with it)

thanx

Rawan AbuSalman said:
btw, do you have a netgear or a linksys router? I was thinking of getting a netgear one...do you advise me to do so? Is netgear any good? Have you had any troubles with it (or have you heard any one having trouble with it)

thanx
Netgear makes a VERY good product. And the setup wizard that comes with it, walks you through the process step by step and it's so simple. I highly recommend Netgear.

thanx...I think I will get netgear because I also got the best deal from them!

What about
thank you for your reply...
so basically, if I connect the line directly to the router. I can login from there and all users can access the internet? I think I read somewhere on one of the ISPs websites that it is limited to 1 user on a pc at a time...will that matter? It will still work bc im sharing the connection, not loggin in at 2 different places at the same time...right?

Do all netgear routers come with that wizard or at least the page where you can log in? What about other routers? If they dont have that page, does that mean that I cant share the connection? Or can I still log in from any of the PCs the router is connected to and then, all others will have access to the internet?

Thanx again...

No the purpose of the router so to speak is to turn your one line from your ISP and share it with all your other pc's. Your ISP doesn't support routers though so don't ask them or say anything about it to them.

All netgear routers, as far as I know, have the setup wizard. Very handy actually, especially for people who aren't too familiar with networking. In the wizard setup process it will ask you if you have to supply a username and password or not. Just enter the username and password when it prompts you, and follow the rest of the wizard, and it should set it all up for you.

Thanx for your reply...

What do you mean "your ISP does not support routers"? Do you mean that they do not, so to speak, allow you to use one? If thats the case, it still works though, right? (as you said)

I like the part about not mentioning it to them...I was planning on doing that exactly!!! lol

thanx

In support I mean if you have a problem with your router their tech support can't and won't help you with it. Also some ISP's don't allow you to have one, or if they do they might charge you extra for it. I'm not sure about Comcast (my ISP), but I've never had any problems. Just best not to say anything about it. You're paying for it, why not be able to use it the way you want to?

you're absolutely right...but to be on the safe side, there is (or there should be) no way they can find out I am using one (unless they come give me a visit at home!) and there is no way I might not be able to use the router right? (some sort of firewall maybe or anything that they might have that will not let me use it?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom