Wifi problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimdabrim

Beta member
We use a Thomson TG782T modem router but it's in the other side of the house because my brother uses a PC and he doesn't have a Wifi adapter so he has to use an ethernet cable to connect to the internet. I on the other hand am on the opposite side of the house with my laptop and there are a few walls and electrical appliances which I think may be interfering. My connection can vary from either a 1 to a 3 bar connection and half of the time I can stream Youtube videos so it sometimes is a real hassle. I also play Xbox 360 online and I seem to never have a good connection whereas my other Australian friends do. Since my brother and I don't really do any competitive gaming on our computers we don't really need a good connection but I would like to have a good connection on my Xbox 360.

The options I can think of are:

1. Move the modem router to the middle of the house in the kitchen. But in the kitchen there is the wireless phone and microwave and I've tried doing it before but the internet dropped every time someone used the phone. I would also have to buy a wireless adapter for my brother's PC. I would be getting a strong signal on the Xbox 360 and a fair connection for both computers.

2. Buy a repeater to put halfway through the house to extend the Wifi range. I am not sure however that this is a good idea because there might be too much interference.

3. Buy a proper dual-band router to decrease interference.

I am looking for a cost effective or easy method. Thankyou for helping!

wireless telephones will use a default channel as all wireless devices do, if you change the channel on the wireless router, it shouldnt interfere.
Alternatively, buy a better router - you may have a bottom of the line wireless 802.11g router, which doesnt have a fantastic range on it. Most ISPs give out the G ones and yeah they do for the internet speed (most people dont have more than 54mbps which is the max transfer speed) but not for large wireless connections.

a N or N+ rated router would give you a bigger range, if you can get a few bars already its a safe bet it'll be strong enough.

alternavitly, use a powerline adapter, it sends ethernet over the electrical signal circling your house and you can just plug your xbox into a wall socket with another adapter :0, though some older houses dont like these and some houses have a few seperate electrical circuits so you need to know about your house.

alternatively, get a wireless access point for the kitchen or another central place to bridge the gap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom