wifi networking challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bummertech

Beta member
hey all,
new to the forum, and i come in with a ***** of a problem:

i have ADSL at home. from the wall socket (RJ11) a cable goes into a stone age ADSL modem (aztec). from the modem, a USB cable goes into my desktop (XPpro, 2.8ghz). i used to browse with gay abandon on my desktop with this setup. still do.

then came the new laptop (hp pavilion dv6640e, vista home premium, 1.9 ghz), with built-in wifi. so, in order to enjoy internet unplugged, i bought a linksys wireless router (wrt54gc). the plan was to simply connect the modem to the router, but, holy crap! the modem only has a RJ11 'line' out, while the router wants a regular ethernet RJ45. bummer !

so i tried to work around the problem by connecting the router to the desktop's ethernet connection. i turned ICS 'on'. all 3 pilot lamps on the router: power, internet and wireless lit up beautifully. i was connected to the 'linksys' wireless network. i took the laptop far, far away and tried logging on. worked like a charm!

then came my wiseass friend who said the wireless network is unsecured, so let's secure it. before we started, i reminded him of the wise old american saying: IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT. he didn't listen, and i f***ing did. the thing got completely messed up.

now, i do connect to the same 'linksys' wireless network, but i have 'local access' only, not internet access.

any bright ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom