wifi for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerj14

In Runtime
Ok so I'm confused on what a wifi Ethernet adapter is well, I have a Ibook, a PC, and a nintendo wii. My ibook and Wii both have Wifi signal pick ups. they can pick any open wifi and use it. I have a router but it is starting to Break on me. So a Wifi Ethernet adapter would plug into my Pc and either my Ibook or Wii would get connection from the bandwith my Pc is using?

Dont know much about the wii but most consoles like the Nitendo DS Lite have an encryption option. Running any open network is crazy.
Is your router a wired only?
1. If so then you could keep your PC on the wired router, add a wireless adapter and setup ICS (Internet connection Sharing) on the PC and connect the Ibook and wii in Adhoc mode.
2. Buy a wireless router and connect the ibook and wii for internet and gaming. Most wireless routers have built in switches for your PC if your opt not to get a wireless adapter for it.

I would advise to stay away from ICS when it comes to wireless, I've tested it out at home and it's very unstable and frustrating for anyone who doesn't know what their doing to fix it.

A wireless router giving wireless connection to PCA and in turn PCA gives a wireless connection to PCB. All that going on creates a network nightmare.

And I thought I saw your post in the Off Topic about this. You already have a wireless router, so you just need to get a access point to amplify your signal downstair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom