WiFi, 3G, GSM, Blue Tooth... any other wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry K

Fully Optimized
technology that will be the next big thing OR USEFUL technology.
I'm not up to date on this, but figure someone else would be.
:)

As last I read (was interested in)... 3 main types of wireless data..

cellphones (was 3G) - using existing towers, etc... just convert to 3G.

WiFi (is wireless samething?) same concept of "hot spots" using all types of broadcasting structure (towers, buildings, etc)

Bluetooth... I guess a mixture of both?

As you can see..... I probably got all this mixed up or just plain wrong :)

Basically, what is the scoop for the next year in wireless technology? (as it relates to LAN, WAN, cell phone, or ???)

thanks!!

Huge question.

http://wireless.utk.edu/overview.html is a slightly outdated overview I found via Google.

It doesn't really have anything to say on 802.11g, which is the newer WiFi standard that has the range of B and the speeds of A, and is backwards compatable.

Also...Bluetooth is something completely different. Most certainly not a combination of the other two. The way I see it, it was designed to replace what IR is currently used for (ie. remotes, short range data transmission between Cell phones and PDAs and such, etc). It's range is often 30 or so feet.

uhm... little me ask the wireless question a different way:

Wireless is GREAT and everyone would love to use it 100% all the time, BUT

1) its slow
2) it cost to much to implement, etc.
3) security

So, whether I'm using a phone, laptop, pda.... Will technology allow wireless to be used all the time, anywhere?

Example where small/localized solutions work:
Obviously, having a Linksys Wireless "G" (is that the newest)router in your home is great and very nice... BUT its only for your home area.... get out in your car and your laptop is not on the web anymore.

Maybe its like the "Paperless Office".... Just not going to happen :)

Obviously you can't get wireless access anywhere, but if you take the time to do some wardriving (or warwalking if you've got a PDA ;)), you can easily map out hotspots in the areas you spend most of your time. For example, I can access my own router from the bus stop where I catch a ride to school in the morning, then I planned my route home in the evening so that I can access another hotspot while I wait for the bus downtown. I also know of dozens of spots around town (near malls, train stations, etc) where I can pick up some free wireless internet if I happen to need it while I'm in the area.

I'm sure as technology improves in the future the situation will only get better.. access points will have much better range, and more people will buy them.. but as for being able to get wireless access anywhere? I'm not sure that'll happen any time soon.

þÄ®âÐÖx said:
I'm sure as technology improves in the future the situation will only get better.. access points will have much better range, and more people will buy them.. but as for being able to get wireless access anywhere? I'm not sure that'll happen any time soon.

Anywhere? Well, I guess the next resort is Satellite. :cool:

Interesting title for such a project..."Wiring the world...without wires"

Bluetooth wireless technology can help you get internet access almost anywhere. if your cell phone and laptop both contain the technology and your cell phone has internet capabilities then you can surf the web anywhere you have a cell signal.

floss said:
Bluetooth wireless technology can help you get internet access almost anywhere. if your cell phone and laptop both contain the technology and your cell phone has internet capabilities then you can surf the web anywhere you have a cell signal.

But if you have a "cell signal" (GPRS usually), you might as well connect directly to that, instead of use one device for the purpose of connecting to the GPRS signal and then transfering the data via a different wireless technology to whatever device will actually use the connection.

What's the point of having the middle device? That's just an additional thing to slow down an already too slow connection. Besides, I've seen plenty of places without the "cell signal".

The best way of utilizing that scenario right now would be to use the cell phone to connect, and use a physical link instead of adding another wireless standard in the picture.

i suppose it's a matter of preference. i prefer to use my computer to search the web over my cell phone and i have not found that the bluetooth wireless connection makes it any slower.

obviously there are places without GPRS, but there are far more places without wireless connection.

There are big security concerns with wireless though so be careful! If you have any important data on your computer or are transmitting important information be aware that if someone really wanted to break your secure connection (if you have one, hopefully) then it is not that hard to do. So just be careful.

þÄ®âÐÖx said:
Obviously you can't get wireless access anywhere, but if you take the time to do some wardriving (or warwalking if you've got a PDA ;)), you can easily map out hotspots in the areas you spend most of your time. For example, I can access my own router from the bus stop where I catch a ride to school in the morning, then I planned my route home in the evening so that I can access another hotspot while I wait for the bus downtown. I also know of dozens of spots around town (near malls, train stations, etc) where I can pick up some free wireless internet if I happen to need it while I'm in the area.

yesh, agreed. I never plan on paying for wireless.... I can use my neighbors for free! LOL
Al :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom