Wierd new latency issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorinail

Beta member
We have a netgear FVS318 router, and use it to connect a server, and 2 computers to the internet. I like to play games, and for the past week my pings for many of my games have been excessively high- at least twice what is normal, but only for about half the servers i can see. I have fiddled around alot, and come to the conclusion that the router is the cause. When i plug straight into the modem, no problems, when i reset the router to factory specs, no problems, but i cant leave it factory specs, i have to have a very specific setup for the ftp server to function. I'm pretty stumped on what would cause the issue or how to fix it... Can anyone help me? :confused:

For some reason, the problem goes away late at night, and the server being plugged in or unplugged doesn't affect the issue. Everything is configured with a static ip, manually configured dns, ect. This issue started about a week ago and has persisted since, but its confusing because no changes have been made to the router's configuration file for well over a year.

you can try updating th firmware. its a shot in the dark though.

i guess you are pinging the game servers. are there any addresses that that you can ping that don't have this issue?

look through event viewer for errors. try to detect what has changed that caused this to happen.

what happens when you try the game on another computer?

hmmm... the firmware is as up to date as possible, its a model that they, from what i can tell, stopped releasing firmware for. And yes, there are addresses i can ping and see that are not affected, i can play and interact with them normally. There are no other computers capable of running these games, I'm PC, the other is a mac, and then there is the ftp server.

In the event viewer, i see mostly tcp, with a few udp, packet drops due to "suspicious packet", but I cannot find out exactly what that means, seems like a vague explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom