Wierd networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekillerbigmac

Beta member
Hello,

I'm very new at any kind of networking. I really don't know much. I've tried a couple things with it before, like port forwarding for some applications i had. But I dont remember much.

My basic situation. I work at Circuit City. (not in the computer department obviously, lol). I found a router on sale for $30. no rebate. so i thought, sweet, I'll buy this to use it. But I already have a wired router. wired throughout my house. The main reasoning behind buying it. I have a nintendo DS and mariokart for it. Sounds kiddish, but still. Nintendo sells a USB wireless access point. Really neat. about $35, and I would have to order it. So I figure this is easier. and Also, my friends with laptops can work off of the internet here and even better than nintendo's proprietary piece.

I'm basically trying to hook this router into my CAT5 cable in my room, a branch from my wired router. So, a router going into another router. I found something online. Someone had tried the same thing. They responded first with "You should've gotten a wireless access point, rather than a router". And then said to try something that might make it work like one. All this networking mumbo jumbo I didnt understand, but is probably very simple.

Questions, Does anyone know how much wireless access points usually cost?

And now the major question. Can anyone give me some kind of roundabout tutorial for hooking this wireless router to my rooms cable? and maybe an easily understandable reason to why it wouldnt work by just hooking it up? I understand that it needs software, but im not totally sure why.

I thank anyone willing to give a thought.

Thanks a TON!,
~Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom