Wierd ethernet problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

quiq

Baseband Member
I have a 3com pci ethernet card thats worked fine for a couple years. I just connect the ethernet cord from the wall to the card and the internet works instantly without having to put in settings or anything.

Now, it will work for approximately 5 minutes, than all of a sudden webpages stop responding and time out. The only thing I can do is unplug the connection for a couple hours than plug it back in. When i do this it will work perfectly for another 5 minutes, than stop responding!

I've tried my other computer on the ethernet jack and the internet works fine all day without the problems that I just described, so it couldnt be the connection itself :confused: What could I try before replacing the card?

TIA

You could try updating/re-installing the ethernet drivers and see if that helps. It sounds like something is up with your connection though. Have you tried running a tracert signal against your network to see if there any bad hops/signal loss? Also give your pc the "once-over" scan for bugs, defrag, scandisk etc ..
Try that and see what you get and we can go from there.

~Fawks

Ok I updated drivers, but it still does the same thing

I forgot to mention I connect to the internet through my university's campus network . I noticed I can access the university website without any problems I just talked about, but when I try to view any outside webpages, they wont work. ANy settings, I should change?

You should probably check with the person who runs the network then. They can probably help you out with their setup more than I can.

~Fawks

Try replacing the NIC since they are so cheap now. If that doesnt work you lost $10 :) Are they both desktops? can you pull the NIC out of your other one and put it in the one thats not working right? It could be anything..connection issues, NIC, spyware, trojan, virus...just start eliminating things one by one.

Could be a lot of different things. Hardware (NIC, PCI slot) or software (drivers, IP stack corrupt. Does you PC work fine otherwise? When the problem occurs, can you still ping the NICs loopback address (127.0.0.1)? Can you still ping your gateway and DNS servers?

Ok, I missed this piece of information:
"I noticed I can access the university website without any problems I just talked about, but when I try to view any outside webpages, they wont work. ANy settings, I should change?"

Checked your proxy settings?

Ok, well a tech from the university said I was infected with the w32.sasser worm and my "MAC address" was being blocked by the university. Thats strange since I reformated everything yet it continued to reinfect my computer when I connected to the internet. Anyway, I'm going to find a fix for it and see if that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom