WI-FI at a restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

askquest1on

In Runtime
I own a restaurant and i want to grant wi-fi access to my specific customers only. I have Rogers high speed internet and TP-LINK router, is there a way where i can get people to login to an account made by me for them before they can access the internet at my store.

You could use MAC filtering, as well as a WPA passkey. Just not sure on the num ber of MAC addresses you can have filtered.

That way you can use 1 password, but only approved computers can access the network.

Alternatively you could setup a proxy server, and create individual passwords for each user. Easier to track usage that way too, and you can see who's logged on at any given time. Either method would do what you want though.

I tried setting up a password for the wi-fi but what would end up happening is that the password would spread word and everyone would start to use it.
I really like the idea of being able to set up password for each individual. How would i go about doing that?

Ok well basically without any complicated setups you'll need...
1. A wireless switch/router pointing to the proxy
2. The proxy pointing to your main router
3. The main router pointing to the internet.

The best way to set that up might be to have the clients connecting wirelessly, then have the proxy and the router connected to the wireless switch/router with ethernet cables.
Of course, you could cut out one of the devices and just use your existing wireless router to do all the lifting, but for that I'll need to know your exact model number.

Ok well basically without any complicated setups you'll need...
1. A wireless switch/router pointing to the proxy
2. The proxy pointing to your main router
3. The main router pointing to the internet.

The best way to set that up might be to have the clients connecting wirelessly, then have the proxy and the router connected to the wireless switch/router with ethernet cables.
Of course, you could cut out one of the devices and just use your existing wireless router to do all the lifting, but for that I'll need to know your exact model number.

Its a TO-LINK
Model # TL_WR340GD

Go to Amazon and buy a WRT54GL and then install openWRT or DD-WRT and then add a captive portal software package to it, that way each user has there own user name and password and if you want to later on you can adjust it to allow for payed use of the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom