Wi-fi Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbul05

Baseband Member
Hi i want to add wireless to my computer. At the moment i have my modem connected directly to my computer and a ethernet cable to my sister's compuer, so my computer has to be on for her to access the internet. What i want is the cheapest method to add wireless to my computer so my pda and psp can access the internet. I was told all i need is an adapter or an access point? Any help is greatly appriciated.

Well, you have a few options:

You could get an adapter for the main computer, set up an "ad-hoc" network, then enable connection sharing(wich is obviously already done).

You could set up a wireless access point. Connect it to the ethernet port on the computer w/ the internet. Set up the AP w/ a static IP and set the default gateway to the LAN IP of the main comp.

The easiest method by far though, would be to get a wireless router. They're really not that expensive, and then your computer wont need to stay on to share its net connection.

I used to have a wired router but that slowed down the internet too much as i download alot. Do wireless routers slow down the internet connection alot?

They shouldn't slow things down signifigantly so long as they're configured correctly. As a matter of fact, I would guess that sharing a connection through a comp would slow it down more, since it is being used for more than just routing(ie if you start gaming on your computer, this takes up alot of the processors capacity, wich would ordinarily be used for routing the connection). You might get lag in games or P2P, but this can be fixed w/ port forwarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom