Wi-fi Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbul05

Baseband Member
Hi i want to add wireless to my computer. At the moment i have my modem connected directly to my computer and a ethernet cable to my sister's compuer, so my computer has to be on for her to access the internet. What i want is the cheapest method to add wireless to my computer so my pda and psp can access the internet. I was told all i need is an adapter or an access point? Any help is greatly appriciated.

get a wifi router
hook your modem to the router, and the router to your computer with some cat5, and hook your sisters up with some cat5 also.

let the wireless part of the router take care of the PDA and PSP.

do all routers have a normal ethernet port on them aswell? Also what would an access point do? Does that just let other wireless devices acess my computer? Thanks for your reply

an access point is just another name for a wifi router.
they both bridge a wired and wireless LAN's togethers

To my knowledge most WiFi routers have onboard ethernet ports (about 3, 4 or 5 of them) and they also transmit/receive WiFi signals

This will allow other wireless devices to access your network, but if you are afraid of unwanted devices getting on you can enable WEP or enable MAC filtering.

the access point was meant to be hooked physically up to your modem, and ALL computers/devices get hooked up thru WiFi

the computers/devices on a wireless router can either be hooked up thru physical means or WiFi.

But the definition of access point would include a wireless router. IDK why they call them access points on their. But I guess a bridge is what they should be called.

okay, so if i got a wireless router would i just be able to add another laptop to my network my buying a wireless adapter? thanks

yes, or if you wanted to you could just hook it up with ethernet cable.

Wifi or wired, its up to you.

But you will need a wireless adapter like you just mentioned if the device/computer already didnt have wifi built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom