Wi-fi finder software

Status
Not open for further replies.

josuem

Baseband Member
Anyone know of software, preferably free, that shows a graphical postions of where nearby Wi-fi access points might be?

I have used netstumbler before, however there is no gps like function with it. You don't need it though. It displays the signal strength so you just keep changing directions towards the stronger signal. It also logs all the spots found. I used to just dirve through a neighborhood at normal speed then on the second pass stop at all the hits that were logged. It gets boring though so I stopped.

Actually, I really don't need the GPS function, I use netstumbler, but it'd be nice b/c I live in a neighberhood with alot of elderly people and I just got a new access point on netstumbler. I'm just trying to figure out who set it up, it's causing interference with my own Wi-fi.

ah I see. So you don't have a laptop with it then? Try changing your frequency off of the default channel 6 to like 1 or 11.

No, I do have a laptop. We have it setup so thta our DSL goes through our router and then to my dad's desktop and to my lappie. My bedroom is at the very extreme of our house, so the other signal doesn't interfere if I'm not in my room. The funny thing about the channels thing is that theirs is on 6 and ours is 11. I could be way off on their signal inteerfering with ours, but it just started today at the same time that I picked up this new signal.

hmm... interesting problem. I just recently purchased a D-link product to extend my coverage area because I have one computer that just does not get a good signal.

Shifting the wireless router by a few feet can do wonders sometimes also I have read that the signal goes through walls more effiecently when it is straight through not on an angle. Good luck

Even if the other signal can reach your computer, you should be able to just connect to your network and basically ignore the other. In what way does the signal 'interfere' exactly?

Well, like I said, I could be way, and there could be a whole nother variable here that I'm not aware of. But, ever since I have detected that new signal, I have been getting kicked off at random, and sometimes it'll automatically put me on this new network. It's the strangest thing.

Yeah, the signal off the other network is just wayy too weak. It wasn't even getting above 2mbps. Besides, I need to be on our network in order for me to be able to whoop my dad every once in a while on BF1942 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom