Wi-Fi Disconnect

fernando14816

Beta member
I am new to this site and hoping for some help/wisdom.

So I am currently experiencing an issue that I have not yet run across. I recently got internet set up to my house with Xfinity (25Mbps download). I bought my own Netgear modem (CM400) and wireless router (N750), so I am not renting one of theirs. I have the internet working, however my wife's laptop is the one with the issue, both phones and her laptop use the 2.4GHz. I havn't notice any issues with the phones on this network. My work laptop uses the 5GHz connection. Her computer is a Lenovo G580 (Modle Name: 20157), recently updated OS from windows 8 to 10. I updated it right when I got internet and had windows 8, it downloaded with no issues and I since have found an issue that when I am connected to my WiFi it will all of a sudden and very randomly get disconnected from the WiFi. (Sometimes not for an hour, other times 5 time in 20 minutes). I have to disconnect and reconnect to the wireless network to re-establish my internet connection. If I am hardwired into the wireless router I don't ever notice the problem, there for assuming its not a modem/wireless switch/internet issue. I don't notice this issue on my work laptop (Dell Latitude). Her computer wont see the 5GHz wireless connection so I cant switch to it. Is it the Laptop/Windows or the wireless router itself that is the issue. Next time I use my work computer I will try running off the 2.4GHz to see if I notice it on my end. I updated the drivers on the wireless router and installed all updates on the PC still same issue.

Note: I do notice if my work laptop is streaming and I have it in HD, at times it will get fuzzy going to a lesser quality, then 're-buffering' back to HD. Not sure if the two are related or not.

Any hints/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated!!

Have you checked for newer drivers from the wifi card manufacturer's website that's compatible with Windows 10? Wifi was/is one of the biggest problem factors with the Win10 upgrades.

Easy thing to try, would be if you have a laptop to try this with...remove the wifi card from it, and put it in your wife's laptop. Then put the one from her laptop, in your laptop to see if your laptop starts experiencing the same issues. If so...then you know it's an issue with the wifi card.

Back
Top Bottom