Wi Fi connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wesga34

Beta member
Wondering if anyone can help me Brainstorm my wi-fi internet connection. No router - just one computer connected at a time direct, via a cable from radio on side of house to modem then to computer with cable. <P> I had been getting consistant speeds tests at my ISP test page and other sites with speeds of 5500 Kbs and even higher. Then one day I noticed the speed tests dropped to around 1400 Kbs and never higher but some times lower. I called ISP Tech Support...they said they could see nothing wrong. It stayed the same speeds of about 1400 kbs for a couple of months. <P>
Then I built a new Computer all new parts and plugged it in and WOW it was reaching speeds back up to 5500 kbs again - sweet - or so I thought. I checked again in a couple of hours (new computer) and darn if it wasn't back down to 1400 kbs again. <P> Now the interesting part.....I haven't connected or even turned on the old computer in at least 2 weeks maybe 3. I turned it on connected it to internet and WOW speeds of 5.9 Kbs how wonderful back to what it should be. I immeadiatly unpluged old comp and reconnected new (I hadn't checked speed today)to see if the New Computer speed was in the 5000 Kbs range too. No such luck. Reconnected old again and still speeds of 5500 Kbs and higher. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on. <P> recap: Older computer was getting 5500 kbs then dropped off to 1400 kbs - - Built New Comp, which initially got 5500kbs then dropped off to 1400 kbs. - - Connected older comp today after 2-3 weeks of idle time (no changes made what so ever) and it is getting 5900 kbs. Switched connection back to new computer 1400 kbs. - - switched the cables back and forth betweent he 2 computers. Made no difference. <P> Why is one computer getting fast speeds and not the other. I know they are both capable of achieving 5500 kbs because they both have and both have dropped off to 1400 kbs for long periods of time. I will list the specs of both computers if need be but it seems today proves it not anything wrong with my computers. It the connection or something. <P> Anyone have any ideas? I am a Power Gamer and would like to get to the higher speed and stay there.

are the addresses automatically configured? My internet used to do that as well, then I just manually configured the ip address for the connection and it fixed. Make sure u put in the right ip address tho otherwise ur internet wont work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom