Why has my cable internet gotten so slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
The first day I tested my cable internet's speed was the day it was installed. This occured around 5:00p.m. on a monday. The readings I got said that my download speed was around 6.5 mb/s. I haven't tested it again until today, a Saturday. After testing the connection several times the average download speed was around 900kps. What happened?!?! Did my cable provider downgrade me without me knowing? What can i do to remedy this?

Occasionally your provider may have to slow it down in order to fix or upgrade the system. Mine goes out occasionally and is slow sometimes as well. Wait a day or two and see if it comes back to normal before doing anything. After that, you may want to call them and see what happened.

You also have to take into account that it was a Saturday. That means more people at home on their PC's. This will cause speeds to slow down as the network is getting hammered.

Plus depending on your ISP they might throttle yoru speeds at certain times during high traffic times.

Peak time, try going on at 3am Tuesday morning, lightining fast :)

Likely that your neighbors are using alot of bandwidth.... cable is a shared medium. If many people on your node are putting alot of traffic on it, you will notice it, even if you are hardly using it. Depends on alot of variables though..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom