Why do I keep dropping internet connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindyish

Beta member
Last month, I upgraded my desktop from vista to Windows 7 Ultimate. I installed 64 bit. PC is dell inspiron 530 (purchased about 2008) And since then, I have been having network issues. I have googled, tried everything I can think of but only thing I can think I haven't asked is if 64 bit just isn't compatible with my pc. I have another desktop which is a dell XPS 410 and also have win 7 ult. and didn't have network issues when I was using it but unfortunately, I think there are some issues I have yet to diagnose with that pc maybe bad sectors or something as even fresh installs of windows left horribly slow running times and freezing up issues.

Anyway, here are the network issues. They started by my pc giving me the "ethernet unplugged" diagnosis after losing internet. However, all wireless devices were still connected to network and running fine. If I bypassed router and hooked pc straight to modem (comcast broadband) desktop worked. However, I need all to work together so I verified ethernets were all fine, renewed IP (ipconfig /release, refresh" it would just start working again after full modem and router reset cycle. But it would never last.

Then, the next day, instead of "ethernet unplugged" i was getting "IP not configured properly" Comcast tech was no help and knew less than I did about pc's. IN PC error reports I see a lot of IP conflict reports. I assigned each device in my network their own IP. Seemed to help for a few weeks. Now, out of no where, I am getting the "ethernet unplugged" again but only after pc sits and inactive for a bit such as overnight or a few hours during the day. A restart of the PC always fixes it though. It's annoying to say the least. Anyone know what it could be and how to fix it? I looked at the error reports on the pc but there are so many like one very minute to two minutes of all kinds mainly bonjour services and timeout errors.

You can try this and see if it helps you.
Go to your control panel, Select "Network and Sharing Center" then from there on the left side click on "Change Adapter Settings" right click on Local Area Connection and select Properties. From the Local Area Connections box, click on the configure button for your lan or wireless device (might want to stick with the wired until you get the problem fixed) from your devices properties box, select the Power Management tab and uncheck the box the say's " Allow the Computer to Turn Off This Device to Save Power"

Are you using a wireless USB device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom