why can't xp read the printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasup3rman

Baseband Member
heres the background:
i have a windows 98 pc set up in the other room of this building, and it has a printer connected to it. i enabled file/printer sharing on the computer...

both this xp computer im using now, and the windows 98 computer are supposedly on the same workgroup... however, when i try to access the other computer through "network connections" or "my network places" it doesnt find it?

why cant it find it? or why doesnt it show up on the list?

akasup3rman said:
heres the background:
i have a windows 98 pc set up in the other room of this building, and it has a printer connected to it. i enabled file/printer sharing on the computer...

both this xp computer im using now, and the windows 98 computer are supposedly on the same workgroup... however, when i try to access the other computer through "network connections" or "my network places" it doesnt find it?

why cant it find it? or why doesnt it show up on the list?

Try going on the XP system, going to run, and typing \\98computername (replace that with the computer name of the 98 system). It will connect to it, and you should be able to see the printer listed. You can also try typing the IP in the run command.

hmm it says the network path was not found...

where should i go from here?

i tried doing \\(both computer names)

and neither worked...

thanks in advance

Do an IPConfig on both systems, and tell me what the IPs say for each system. Also, are they both connected directly together with a crossover cable, or are you just using regular network cables and going through a router/switch or what?

ill check the ip's tomorrow

anyways, its supposedly run through a server that is peer to peer or something? i dunno

they are not directly connected to each other
they are connected directly into the wall, and you can see other computer's on the workfloor.

moreover:

when i ran ipconfig on the (white) windows 98 comp. it showed 2 ethernet adapters

0 ethernet adapter
ipaddress.... 0.0.0.0
subnet....... 0.0.0.0
default..

1 ethernet adapter
ipaddress.... 132.239.85.***
subnet ..... 255.255.255.*
default... 132.239.85.*

running ipconfig on the other two machines
the windows xp machine had the same network address but a different host address, and the same exact subnet address but with a slightly different default gateway address

the black windows 2k machine has a different subnet from the other two machines, with the same network address with a different host address. the default gateway is also different.

why does the white computer show as having 2 ethernet adapters? there is a big microscope attached to it, so maybe tahts the other one?

and i can successfully \\computer-name the two computers taht are in the same room, but i cant do that to the xp machine thats in a different room

i hope this helps in you guys trying to find a solution. thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom