Why cant i get web pages yet im connected to the net?

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin353

Solid State Member
Hi All

Well the title sums it up really. I can connect to the internet, which my isp has verified, but I cant download anything or view a web page.
I spoke to the tech department last night who did all sorts of things with me including making sure firewalls and AV progs were off, clearing the reports and resetting the I.E and internal cmmunications of my P.C. In the end all he could say was that my puter was connected and sending but not using the same default gateway to receive. How do I reset this and what to?

Any help would be great as its now been off line for a couple of months and Im having to use a work p.c to connect to the good old net. Looks like I've fallen through the net for the moment !!

BTW Im using win xp home and my isp is wanadoo

Thank you in advance

Martin353

what happens if you fire up command prompt and ping google?
what happens if you ping 66.102.9.104?
- both are google, but will determine whether it is a DNS issue.

How do you connect to the internet, through a router? if so your ISP should be able to give you the default gateway if your router doesnt already detect it. Ensure that you dont have a static IP address for your default WAN gateway in the router, if so change it to the correct value - or better to automatically detect it.

You say you can connect to the internet - what do you mean by this?

Hi and thanks for the reply,

I have tried to ping the server with the www.nameetc.co.uk but not with an I.P. with the name i get all packets lost.

Net connection is with an adsl speedtouch 330 usb modem.

By connect I mean the 2 computers come up and my connection shows a small amount of packets sent and received. The ISP cinfirmed the connection was being made but still no web pages

You have 2 computers? That means you have a router or something, right? I would connect a computer straight to the modem, and see if you get any connection that way. If not, then it's time to call your ISP and see about getting a service call.

Sry by 2 computers i mean the little net computers that show up in the task bar when connected to the internet not 2 actual machines. Sry for duff info.

I am using a speedtouch usb 330 modem

I believe that icon you are seeing only indicates that you are connected to another device... in this case, it would be the DSL modem, or the router. (DO you have a router, or is the PC just hooked up directly to the Modem?)

On your computer, go to the START menu, then click on RUN. In the text box, manually type 'CMD' without the '..... (might also try 'COMMAND'). After hitting enter, you should get an MS-DOS window that comes up. Enter the command 'IPCONFIG' then hit enter. Your computer SHOULD have an IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway listed. Let us know what these values are (can help identify if you are using a public or private IP address).

Same problem

I have exactly the same problem with a new Thompson 330 modem and a new NTL ADSL account.

I have spent about 6 hours on their technical line. Like you I can connect up to the ISP. I can even PING on a COMMAND window and successfully get 4 Pings back. But I cannot open any website in Internat explorer.

The NTL people suspect your computer at all times. However I have gone out of the way to demonstrate it is not my computer:

1. I disconnected my primary hard drive, formatted my second had drive and reloaded Windows (ME) from scratch and only the Modem software. In this configuration i.e. NO FIREWALLS, NO VIRUS SCANNERS, exactly the same happened - connection the the ISP but no web pages.

2. I got a copy of an open source Browser MOZILLA from a cover disk, and tried this. Again, connected, but no Web Pages.

3. I went up into the loft and got a old Laptop of mine (circa 1996), running Windows 98, loaded up the USB Modem software, connected the modem.........guess what......it connected to the ISP but would not let me view Web Pages.

Conclusion:
2 independant machines running different operating systems show the same fault. I therefore conclude there is a problem with the Modem Software - the Modem - The BT line configurations or with the ISP configuration for me.

I convinced the NTL people to raise a fault with the line. I am now waiting for some feedback.

I have done the ipconfig commend several times on both PC's, but do not have the results here at work (where I am browsing here from).

My top suspicion is that the IP Subnet Mask is: 255.0.0.0 and not 255.255.255.0 (the more regular result). This Mask may be being wrongly set in the chain of connections. I am not an expert though with this.

I also note that 'lease start' etc are always blank. I do not know if this is expected.

If you get fixed before me, please let me know what happened.

Thanks
Ray Woods

If you can ping IP addresses but not their www equivalent, its more likely a Winsock issue.. theres a Winsock fix available as the first result on Google.

Though I hear you can only run it maximum of twice for every fresh install of your OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom