Where to Hook up Network Printer ??

Katmandu

In Runtime
I have a small home network in place right now.

From the Cable modem--> Wireless router----> 1 PC Ethernet off router. This equipment is on the 2nd level of my home.

On the 1st floor, I have another desktop PC and a network printer that need connected to the Network.
This PC is currently running wireless with the printer connected directly to it.

I want to be able to connect the printer so the PC it's connected to does not have to be on at all times.

I do have a 100ft Ethernet cable that is dropped in place already and can be connected to the router upstairs.

I would prefer to connect the 1st floor PC via Ethernet vs Wireless since I'm seeing faster download speeds with the Ethernet.

My question is..... Where/How can I connect the network printer to the network ?

I do have a spare router availible....(wireless w/4 Ethernet ports). Can I use this router as a switch and connect bother the printer and the other PC ??

TIA.

Last edited:
if you have a wireless printer, then you use the settings options on the printer to set up the wireless and give it the passphrase to access your network. If you carefully read your manual....it should explain to you exactly what you need to do. Some may you have to access the printer through a usb cable on the pc next to it and use the software for the printer to set up the wireless that way. HP will often set up the wireless for you when you install the drivers/software. you can use the disk that came with it or download the latest version of drivers/software from the manufactures web site

Last edited:
if you have a wireless printer,
I wish it was wireless but it's not.

Can I piggyback another router on to my exsisting router and use the 2nd router as a switch ?

That way I can plug in both the 1st floor PC and this Network printer.

Would that work ??

Anybody ??
What's the brand/model of the printer?

If the printer has an ethernet port, then just plug it into the router. There should some sort of configuration option in the printer to then print out or show you what the router gave it as far as an IP address. Once you have the IP, you can add it to any computer on the network from the devices and printers menu.

Before you connect to it though, I would load the drivers for the printer on whatever computer you want to connect to beforehand.

Last edited:
If the printer doesn't have wireless or a network port built in then you could look into buying a standalone print server.

Printer connects to the server via USB and then the server to your router.
Just looked and it doesn't even have a USB port.

What's the brand/model of the printer?

If the printer has an ethernet port, then just plug it into the router. There should some sort of configuration option in the printer to then print out or show you what the router gave it as far as an IP address. Once you have the IP, you can add it to any computer on the network from the devices and printers menu.

Before you connect to it though, I would load the drivers for the printer on whatever computer you want to connect to beforehand.
BTW, it's a Brother MFC-7360.

I'll try that.

BTW, it's a Brother MFC-7360.

I'll try that.
When you add it, it may still want you to look for a driver for it before it installs.
In that case, use windows update to update the list of printer, and then try to find the model in the Brother section. I would then see no problems with it working then.

Back
Top Bottom