When Using Windows 2008 Server.....

jefferj54

Baseband Member
.......what is the advantage of placing shared files and folders on a mapped drive vs not placing files and folders on a mapped drive???

Thanks,

joe.

When you have a Mapped Network Drive., you simply go to Computer and it provides you the shortcut to the drive where the shared folders are located.

If you do not have a mapped drive, you need to go to the server via the network and access the drive.

Makes it easier for end users and yourself when you need to access the drive.

Last edited:
Well when you have a mapped drive you simply to Computer on the desktop and have access to where the shared files and folders are.

If you do not have a mapped drive, you need to go to the server via the network and access the drive.

Makes it easier for end users and yourself when you need to access the drive.
Thank you reckless. I didn't quite understand your first sentence. A word or two got cut off in the sentence so I knida missed what you were saying. Could you please explain again. Thanks.

joe.

Here is an example of a Mapped Network Drive
mnd_vista_computer.gif

Why would you not want to map it?

Ok, I created OUs, users, shared folders and files, all with selected permissions, mapped a drive and accessed the folders and files from my windows 7 computer.

Here's what I've learned "RECKLESS." Mapping a drive is simpler for a user to remember, than using a Universal Naming Convention (UNC).

Thank You For Your Time,

joe.

Back
Top Bottom