What's the best way to get started with Mac and Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KShef

Baseband Member
I currently have a network of two IBMs using XP on each. I'm a DSL tech who frequently must be involved in basic networking to satisfy my customers. I've gradually trained myself on the job, but this is difficult when I run into customers using Macs or Linux.

Most Mac users know enough to not need me to do much, but all of them don't. I don't use Mac enough to be proficient with it. Of course, the Linux users know more about computers than I do, but they leave me very interested in that OS as well.

I have an interest in installing Linux on one of the two hard drives I have on one computer and leaving XP on the other. I've been told that this would be the best way to avoid conflicts between it and XP and that I can access either OS by changing the boot sequence of my BIOS. Is this true?

Is there an easier or more efficient way to experiment with Linux without doing any confusing partitioning of my hard drive? I'd prefer to reserve one drive for audio and video storage, but if there's an easy way for me to partition it and use Linux whenever I choose this would be ideal.

I plan to buy a Mac strictly for audio/video editing. How difficult is it to network a Mac and an IBM with file and printer sharing capabilities?

Get a bootable distro. Ohh yea, and all linux distros are free www.linuxiso.org, then um,.... for bootable, knoppix, or knoppix std, but std is more security professional distro.. (hacker). Knoppix the original though, is good. Just setup your bios boot sequence so your cd-rom drive boots 1st, and boom, you're on linux without installing anything.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom