What's the best router for notebooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheeseB

Beta member
Hi, I'm new to this forum (as you can probably see). I was just wondering what people's opinions of routers are. I just bought a hp zd7000 w/ 54g, & I was looking at Buffalo, US Robotics, SMC, and of course D-Link, Netgear, and Linksys. But I don't know anything about this topic. What's the difference between Access Points & routers? Which router is the most reliable? I live in a 2-story house, about 2500 sq. ft. Everyone has an opinion, so please post yours here. Thanks!

Yea, just for the sake of consistantsy and because I do indeed like the brand, Linksys is the way to go.
An access point is a device that broadcasts a signal for a wireless device to connect to. But the access point cannot soley carry the high-speed internet connection. Typically, the internet connection will come in through a DSL modem or a cable modem and then it has to go through a gateway (a home gateway is now commonly referred to as a router). So, you have to either have a PC running the routing functionality or a hardware router (like a Linksys). This connection would then be brought to an access point so that a laptop or other PC could connect using a wireless card. The access point functionalty is built into a Wireless Gateway/Router that you see made by these companies. Access points are sold seperately due to some networks needing more than one deivce broadcasting the same signal so that your range to capture the signal is more broad.

-Mike

So would I need both a router and an access point? I thought just a router & a adapter (PCI card, I think it's called) was all I needed.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound confusing...
Yes, you are correct. The type of gateway/router that you are looking at has an access point built in. You will be fine with the card and the wireless router.

-Mike

Ive seen netgear routers and wireless routers do a remarkable job. Its very secure and cool looking.

The netgear in my humble opinion is a much better built and solid router than the D-Link. I have been able to run netgears without having to reset them. The D-Links, for me at least I have to reset them every couple of weeks or so.

The Netgear WGT624 has some other advantages over the D-Link like the Double Firewall (SPI & NAT)

Amazon is running a deal on it for $54 with free shipping and no tax to most states

Amazon Netgear WGT624 deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom