What Wireless Device do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thelorax121

Solid State Member
So I am about to build my first computer, and I need to figure out how I am going to get internet connection in my room when our router is downstairs at the other end of the house. I was looking at this adapter: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16839121008

and this antenna: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16833127046

and I was wondering, are both of these necessary? If I buy the antenna, do I still need the adapter? Also, what does the antenna plug into? The pic shows a plug that lloks like it goes to a cable box, so where does that go?

Ive also heard that all I need is another wireless router in my room in addition to the one downstairs, and then I would be fine, but how would I set that up? Thanks for the help!

btw...links arent working.

you could look at getting a 'repeater' which ..well does just that so you can get a better range if the your comp. and the router are a distance away. something
like this

but that indoor antenna is a great option..if you buy this then yes you still need to buy the adapter ;)
it plugs into to the back of your router..so unscrew the atnenna you have now and plug the antenna in.

kyd said:
btw...links arent working.

you could look at getting a 'repeater' which ..well does just that so you can get a better range if the your comp. and the router are a distance away. something
like this

but that indoor antenna is a great option..if you buy this then yes you still need to buy the adapter ;)
it plugs into to the back of your router..so unscrew the atnenna you have now and plug the antenna in.

So if I plug the antenna into the router downstaris, and install the adapter into my new comp upstairs, iI should be ok? My room is probably like 100-150 feet from the router just fyi

100 to 150 feet is stretching it for an indoor connection. The antenna would probably give you a stronger connection. Just hook the antenna up and install the wireless adaptor into your pc and that's all you should need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom